Cobequid  Salmon  Association

Board of Directors - Meeting Minutes

 

 

 

June 10, 2008     7:00 P.M.

Room 112,  Haley Institute, NSAC

Attendance

Chairperson  - Dick Huggard

Members  - Jack Johnson, Nelson Rogers, Robert Gunderson, Ira Parker, Bill Yarn, Earl Miller, Carl Purcell, Gary McMahon, Doug Byers

            Guests  - Erin Rowlands

Regrets  - Garth Densmore, Katherine Mott, Dave Creelman, Don Mattinson, Jim Duston

 

The proposed Agenda was reviewed by the Chair. By motion (Johnson/Miller) it was approved as circulated.

 

Minutes of May 13/08 meeting - By motion (Parker/Gunderson) the minutes of the last meeting were approved as distributed.

 

Business Arising from Minutes

Web Site

Mike McAdam is working on an update of our site.  Access needs to be simplified…..can get to CSA site through the NSSA site.

Smolt Wheel

           Invitation received from Katherine for Directors to visit the Wheel site – behind her property.

Rowlands reported that no “wild” smolts captured yet; some tagged ones caught and a number have gone to Coldbrook lab.

Problem with a stolen sensor at Bill Bryson location – it contained information for salmon movements.

Alton Gas Storage – Jim Duston has received money for a project related to stripped bass.

Fish Friends – Carl to determine suitable release date with Hank Lewis.  Red Cliff School will have a

           project next year.  Ira will make sure we retrieve the Willow St School tank.  Carl to encourage

           East Stewiacke School to have a project next year.

 
Treasurer's Report (Yarn)
May 1 Balance      $19, 482.53
Cheques (2)  $337.15
Deposit   $700.00
May 31 Balance $19,845.38
On a motion (Yarn/Rogers) the Treasurer’s report was approved.

 

Committee Reports

a)      Fisherama – Jack Rudolph has resigned from CSA activities, including the leadership for the Fisherama.  Directors agreed unanimously that the Chair will send a letter on their behalf thanking Jack for his many years of dedication to the popular CSA spring project.

Nelson Rogers agreed to assume the Chair of the Fisherama Committee.

 

b)      Shad Derby (Yarn) -  Another successful Derby held this year.  Twenty-nine entrants enjoyed an excellent fishing day. Thanks to Nelson for providing cooking skills for the BBQ.

A negative note was the loss of a port-a-potty (stolen) after the event.  RCMP to be provided with a list of participants for its investigation.  CSA may be liable for the cost of replacement.

 

c)      Citizen’s Monitoring Committee (Gunderson) – Nothing new to report.

 

d)      Forest Alliance – There will be a partnership meeting later this month.

 

e)      Exhibition – Space is booked - $600 +tax.  Raffle/Prizes – Canoe has been ordered, Bruce Wood illustration for 2nd prize, tying vice for 3rd prize (Nelson Rogers). Posters are printed.  Tickets distributed to Directors. It was agreed that staffing of booth be in 6 hour shifts. Passes may be available for booth staff.  Agreed to advertize the 2 ½ HP Yamaha motor for sale at $850.

 

Project Proposals – Summer Plans

Adopt-A-Stream application has been approved with funding of $13,000 this year. Paper work remains to be completed. It will include work on the Creamery Brook and others to be identified.

 

Endowment Fund (Purcell)

The provincial Committee met about a month ago and 4 projects were approved – total of $50,000.  The central Committee will meet this weekend to consider 13 applications.  Deadline for next year applications is Nov. 15/08

 

Wild Atlantic Salmon Policy

           Comments from local meetings were taken to the Advisory Committee group.  A report is now being prepare by DFO.  There is $10 million available from Federal govt.

           Inner Bay of Fundy Group working on the life cycle of salmon – first study since 2003.  Hopes to release a Recovery Plan by year end.  The year 2010 will be key year for decisions on Inner Bay Salmon Recovery.

           At ASF May meeting concern was raised for a meeting with the DFO minister.  There are hopes for a half day meeting soon.

 

Correspondence – none

 

New Business

New Ideas – Chair suggested that we should be considering potential trips for the Directors,

and how to involve younger people in CSA.

Planning Committee – the NSSA now has a long term strategy.  We need to look at this as a guide or model for future CSA direction.

 

Other –

The Chair reported that George Ferguson and Carl Purcell have received the Happy Fraser Award for their contributions to Atlantic Wild Salmon sector.

Jack Johnson reported that Bill Yarn was recently recognized by the Town of Truro for long term service to the community.  His name had been put forward by Jack on behalf of CSA.

 

Next meeting  - August 12, 2008 at the usual location.

back to Archive page